What was your favorite T.V. show growing up?

Thursday, September 16, 2010

American Icons ` Finaleeeee !

My finale picture:




My finale artist statement:
Madam CJ Walker
Shyana Brown
Madam CJ Walker: born into a world of hate, racism and differences. Shyana Nicole Brown: born into a world of hate, racism and differences. Two different people but both with the same dream: to be successful and change the world.
I was born on August 18, 1994. I was forced upon a single mother, with three other kids. My siblings and I were all left with no father, but one strong African-American mother who knew how to give her kids the strength, faith and hope they needed to succeed. From the age of seven years old to the age ten, I experienced what has changed my life in so many ways, good and bad. Good because with what happened to me I can help others and bad because it has scarred me and as much as I don't want to look back I know it will always be there. Even with this burden on my shoulders I have managed to get through life with no regrets or revenge, because I know where I have been, where I'm going and what I have to do to get there. Going through many different situations from not having food in my house to meeting new people that would just hurt me; I had one devoted mother who has helped me not be another "lost black child" in America. I only saw my father once when I was little. I thought about why God made me father-less and why every other little girl could be called daddy's little girl but not me. Was it the way the I looked, my mother or maybe it was him? Like Madam CJ Walker I have been through different trials and trivializations, but like her I don't want to be left behind. Madam CJ Walker has been the crutches to many black women who couldn't walk on their own two feet, she knew that being a slave and having no parents was no reason for her to not accomplish her dreams, she wanted to go beyond that and so will I. I have to teach my children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews that being African-American is nothing to be ashamed of; instead you have to strive and succeed. Madam CJ has devoted herself to many causes as I wish to do one day. After the Bloody East St. massacre Madam Walker devoted her time and money to trying to make lynching a federal crime, it takes strength to put your own life in danger. I want to do the same, after I accomplish my goals I want to succeed in more. I want to give back and be the crutch of others, I realize that is what God wants to be my duty and I shall listen.
I try everyday to be the crutches for the young women around me, I have been around a lot of bad situations but the eagerness in my heart refuses to let me fall back. Coming from a single mother and looking at the struggles she had to go through I am glad that I can be her crutch. My mother has not had the opportunity to see one of her children graduate, me being the third oldest of four children I realize, this is our success. I will rise up for all those who couldn't and change the world. I have had many people in my life tell me to just stop because I wouldn't make anything of myself, but I can laugh in their face because this is my story and there is more to come.
"I am a woman who came from the cotton fields of the South. From there I was promoted to the washtub. From there I was promoted to the cook kitchen. And from there I promoted myself into the business of manufacturing hair goods and preparations....I have built my own factory on my own ground." –Madam CJ Walker

No comments: